Thursday, November 15, 2007

Ugly and Complicated Stories about the IDF

Here's a long article abut a new Israeli documentary film, "lir'ot im ani mechayechet" (To See if I'm Smiling"), about women soldiers in the IDF who served during the first and second Intifadas. It's not pleasant reading, but it's necessary.

At the moment, I'm simply posting, not commenting and certainly not arguing - especially as the stories are themselves mostly complex, and morally complicated, and the moral reality portrayed in them is not easy to unravel. I will however note that Meir, my older son, served for a while in Hebron not long after one of the periods described in the article, and came back with stories that were no less compelling but quite different. So sometime soon I'll come back to this post.

No comments: